Monday, December 12, 2011

Final Camp-Out of 2011


I am not sure if Pack  94 was after their "Polar Bear" badge or not, but when I got up early on Sunday morning there was no doubt about it that Jack Frost had made a visit sometime during the wee hours of the morning.  The whole camp looked as if glitter had fallen from the sky during the night.  For the weeks leading up to the camp-out I had been talking and e-mailing with Derylnn who lined up everything.  I met the scout master, Rick Dynes, around lunchtime on Saturday. 

Last year when the group came up it was on a weekend where the main campground was full (see post here), so they asked if it would be ok to create a fire-ring on top of the hill.  I thought it was a great idea and now we have given the area the official name of Cedar Top Campground.  I moved several picnic tables up there a few weeks ago.  Though Pack 94had the whole camp to themselves this time, they actually chose to stay where they did last time. 

I asked Rick if the storyteller was in the group this time and he said no.  I remember from last year quite a big group, with a still, clear night and the storyteller recounting tales at the campfire as everyone gathered around to listen. 

Late Saturday afternoon several of the boys earned their knife badge.  I don't know of anyone who doesn't like a campfire and we sure never tire of its smell.  Sometime during their stay they went on a trail hike that covered almost 3 miles.  It was great to have the Pack up here and to be the group that closes out our season. 

No comments: