Thursday, July 15, 2010

VBS vs. Disaster Relief!

With so much going on lately, we had a close one out at the camp this past Tuesday! I had contacted Wayne Miller about having the Disaster Relief Team come out and cut up a couple of trees that an earlier storm had blown down near the pavilion.

Kay Howard, who has been doing the Hispanic VBS out at the camp, had told me (I thought) that they would not be out at the camp on Tuesday, as their own church (Winchester Road Baptist) would be having their VBS that Tuesday, and they would take the kids there.

Wayne had called me the night before and everything was set. I got out there early, made some coffee for the guys, and awaited the arrival of the Disaster Relief Team. And who shows up bright and early? Kay! I apologized for the miscommunication on my part.

Just as she gets everything set up and leaves to pick up the kids, the team arrives! They had a great bunch of men on this outing and they made quick work of all the downed trees.

Let's see, working this particular project were Wayne Miller, Wells Johnson, Bob Dougan, Gordan Raney, Al Drost, and Forrest Callicut.

About four different churches were represented and one of the guys even took off from work to be out there. They did a great job.

I think Kay moved game time around to the beginning and the disaster relief guys were finished before the next Bible study session started, so everything worked out fine in the end.

Wells told me bits of a story about how he was involved with the camp back when the ponds were put in. I'll do a follow-up entry on this at a later date.

1 comment:

Denise :) said...

Looks like the kids were having lots of fun! :)