Monday, August 9, 2010

A Flurry of Weekend Activity

Well I had spoken with Brother Shannon Johnson and e-mailed a time or two and it was set, a group from Central Baptist was coming up to spend the night this past Friday. The weather man threw in a chance of rain, actually fifty percent, and one by one the folks started canceling. By the time the phone calls stopped, only Shannon and a couple others were left. They stayed a little while but decided to not spend the night and to possibly reschedule in the future.

On Saturday afternoon, right about the hottest part of the day, Brother Jim Kidd and his lovely wife showed up to prepare for their church picnic. Another couple showed up shortly after to help. I had a connection with the gentlemen as his father had retired from the Fire Service years ago. I chatted with the folks for a few minutes and then went back to the RV for awhile. Sometime after 5:00 the rest of the church started trickling in.

Close to 6:30, Denise and I made our way over to do some meeting and greeting. By this time everyone was through with dinner and they extended an invitation for us to have a bite, which we did. Never been to a Baptist outing yet that chicken was not to be found and this was no exception.

The food was great and Denise said the homemade pimiento cheese was really good, as well as the potato salad! We sat around and talked for a bit, took a few pictures and then helped them pack up. I enjoying listening to some of Brother Kidd's stories about work and ministry and there was even a few he said he could tell me but then he would have to kill me!

He did tell me of a story about a lady who came to a church he was the Pastor of in Florida that wanted to put her dog in the nursery. Don't think they cover that in Seminary! I think everyone had a good time despite the heat and I look forward to seeing them again in the future.




No comments: