Monday, June 25, 2012

Trailhead Outfitters Event

A few months ago Jason Teal called me and we met at the camp for an official tour.  He has started a ministry called Trailhead Outfitters, which has both a website and Facebook page.   The mission of Trailhead Outfitters is to 'turn the hearts of the fathers to their sons, and the hearts of the sons to their fathers', and to train, equip, and 'outfit' dads with the tools they need to become strong, engaged, intentional fathers. 


Jason said that they had partnered with Whitesburg Baptist for an event called "Dad and Lads Super Saturday" and thought the Camp would be a great place to hold the it.  Well of course I agreed.  All the arrangements were made and in the weeks leading up to the event I met some great folks from Whitesburg that I had not previously known.  Guy Morton, who is the Children's Minister, came up a couple of times and he seems to be such a fine man.

Another gentleman by the name of Jerry Gwen came up and helped me add some stuff to the top pond that was supposed to help kill the algae.  Once we got finished with that Jerry stayed for a little while and did some fly fishing from his canoe.  
He was very involved in the big day with teaching the kids how to fly fish and cast a rod and reel.  Very interesting man and has quite a few hobbies. 

Other events going on were kids cooking their own meals...hobos I think and some dutch oven cooking (peach cobbler) demonstrations.  
I talked with Roger Graves (who handled the dutch ovens) for about 30 minutes and learned all kind of things.  He had quite an operation going on and you could tell this was not his first rodeo !  
He had six ovens going at once, had solid fold up tables they were sitting on and had even made his own devices to lift the lids off perfectly.  I must say the cobbler was good too.

Another man I met, and I cannot remember his name, was in charge of the air rifle event.  This was not some run of the mill event!  Come to find out that he had been heavily involved with professional competition shooting for years and had only recently retired.  
I am sure that he told me that his son had won several trophies and still holds some national records.  He had a tent set up, hay bales and a shooting area and all the safety equipment.  Talking about some nice guns...he had them!  

They also held a skeet shoot demonstration -- I hate that I missed it and the testimony time as well.  I hope Trailhead Outfitters decides to use the camp for future events.

1 comment:

Jason Teal said...

We most certainly will, Todd. Thanks so much for this blog, the pictures, and your hospitality! You were a great help in making the first Trailhead Outfitters event a success!