Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday School Fellowship

I called Bill earlier in the day just to make sure things were still a go for the Sunday School Fellowship this afternoon. He said they were and folks were to begin arriving around 3:00. Actually Bill and his lovely wife arrived around 2:00 to began setting everything up. I had met them the first time up here at the Fall Jamboree earlier in the year. They seem like really great folks.

Over the next few hours people began to drift in, one car at a time, until around 5:00. Denise and I made our way over to do a little meeting-and-greeting and to take a few pictures. I spoke with Russell Merriman who I knew from the Fire Department for awhile, while Denise made her way around taking some pictures.
We were about to leave when they insisted that we stay and eat with them, which we did. This was a fun group and seemed to enjoy each others company quite a bit. I spoke with a dear lady who is part of the WMU at New Market Baptist Church and has been living out here since the early 50’s. She was a fount of information about the history of New Market.
Russell told me a little about how 20 + years ago he helped put the ponds in here at the camp, and get them stocked. Someone even referred to him as the Mayor of New Market…now I am sure there is a story there.

One of the women grabbed a stick and began to poke at the fire and of course half the folks had something to say about it...kind of reminded me of the fire department for a minute there.

The company was great and so was the food. I had some chili and stew and my wife had some potato soup that was very good as well. There was a roaring fire going and it looked like they were getting ready to play some games as we excused ourselves and made our way back to the RV.

No comments: